In a year of COVID-crisis and record unemployment, positive signs are being seen — according to the just-released Q3 2020 labor market report from the Workforce Intelligence Network — with 36,204 more job postings than the previous quarter (Q2 2020).
The figures represent a 13.7 increase in job postings over Q2 2020, although Q3 2020 experienced 131,730 fewer postings than a year ago (Q3 2019).
“While the marketplace continues its gradual recovery, employers are hiring again,” said Michelle Wein, Director of Research and Regional Initiatives at WIN. “There is still caution and uncertainty as we enter the winter months, yet we’ve come a long way over the course of this year like no other.”
Corresponding to the high demand related to online commerce, Transportation/Distribution/Logistics occupations saw the greatest demand in postings in Q3 2020, followed by healthcare.
WIN found the following to be the Top 10 occupations offering opportunities to job seekers:
- Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers (22,982 postings)
- Registered Nurses (14,378 postings)
- Retail Salespersons (9,837 postings)
- First-Line Supervisors of Retail Sales Workers (9,709 postings)
- Software Developers and Software Quality Assurance Analysts and Testers (7,421 postings)
- Light Truck Drivers (6,437 postings)
- Stockers and Order Fillers (5,982)
- Customer Service Representatives (5,642)
- Home Health and Personal Care Aides (5,231)
- Childcare Workers (4,652)
Released quarterly – 6 weeks after each quarter ends – the WIN Region labor market report highlights employment trends, top jobs and information for custom occupation groups across the 16-county region of southeast Michigan.
Review and download the complete WIN Region Q3 2020 Report.
Review and download the complete City of Detroit Q3 2020 Report.
For more information pertaining to the labor market in southeast Michigan, the custom occupation groups within this report, or other workforce-related data projects, please visit www.WINintelligence.org.